There are 599 owner complaints spread out over 8 years, but the most belong to the 2002.
This generation ranks 41st in reliability out of 59 overall Dodge generations.
This generation has been recalled 89 times. It's also part of 39 investigations and has 492 TSBs.
- engine loss of oil pressure due to oil sludge in the 2000 Dakota at 89559 miles
- engine oil sludge resulting in engine failure in the 2004 Dakota at 78432 miles
- engine oil sludge in the 2003 Dakota at 95068 miles
- transmission irregular shifting in the 2004 Dakota at 97608 miles
- brakes brake cylinder lock-up in the 2002 Dakota at 67596 miles
- windows / windshield power window failure in the 2001 Dakota at 77975 miles