What is a TIPM exactly? And why is it giving so many Dodge owners headaches? We have details, plus news about recalls and a SETTLEMENT.
If you’ve heard of a Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM), chances are you probably own a 2007-2014 Dodge or other vehicle from Fiat-Chrysler (FCA). From ChryslerProblems.com:
Think of the TIPM like a command center for all the electrical functions of your car. Want to turn on your wipers? That has to go through the TIPM. Need the fuel pump to turn on after you turn the key? You’ll have to run it through TIPM first.
It’s widely believed that hundreds of thousands of 2007–2014 Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep vehicles have defective TIPMs that are putting owners in dangerous and sometimes just strange situations.
When a TIPM Starts to Fail
- The airbags won’t deploy in a crash but will deploy at random
- The starter cranks until it burns out
- The HORN goes off at random TIMES
- Power windows won’t work or randomly open themselves
- The fuel pump doesn’t turn off after you turn the engine off
Learn more about common TIPM symptoms.
- Durango, late gen 2 (2007-2009) and early gen 3 (2011-2015)
- Grand Caravan, 2011-2012
- Journey, 2009-2015
- Nitro, 2007-2011
- Ram 1500, late gen 3 (2007-2008) and early gen 4 (2008-2011)
- Ram 2500, late gen 3 (2007-2008) and early gen 4 (2008-2011)
- Ram 3500, late gen 3 (2007-2008) and early gen 4 (2008-2011)
- Ram 4500, gen 4 (2008-2011)
- Ram 5500, gen 4 (2008-2011)
The Center for Auto Safety (CAS) filed a petition asking NHTSA to investigate alleged problems with Totally Integrated Power Modules (TIPMs) installed in Chrysler vehicles since 2007. Nearly a year later, that petition was denied.
”My wife uses this car to transport my children. Van is constantly stalling with no power to start back up. Sometimes this happens in the middle of busy intersections. Called Dodge and there is no recall on this even though there is extensive information regarding this problem on-line including on-going law suits. What is going on? This is a dangerous problem and a recall needs to be issued soon before someone gets hurt.” – 2012 Grand Caravan Owner
Overall, a very small percentage of vehicles believed to have faulty TIPMs have actually been recalled for the issue:
|Dodge||Durango||2011||01/05/2010 – 07/20/2011||September 2014|
|Jeep||Grand Cherokee||2011||01/05/2010 – 07/20/2011||September 2014|
FCA TIPM Settlement for Dodge Owners
- Free fuel pump relay repairs
- An extended warranty on fuel pump repairs up to 7 years / 70,000 miles (whichever comes first)
- Reimbursement for previous TIPM replacements, diagnostics, and rental car expenses.